This is the second year of the 2KM Blog and in that time we have had many global visitors, some of who have become “blogging buddies.”
One relationship my class formed throughout last year was with Mrs Yollis and her third grade class in California, USA. 2KM and Mrs Yollis’ class regularly visited and commented on each other’s blog and have even skyped together.
This year, Linda Yollis and I decided to create a more formal structure for our classes to collaborate and learn together. We created a blog called Collaboration Corner where we will work on projects together.
Our first project is the “Lunch Project“. Both classes will blog about what they are having for lunch each day and what they’re learning about healthy eating etc (we got this idea from The Smarties in Western Australia).
The Collaboration Corner blog has got off to a flying start! The students from each grade have been so excited to learn about what their blogging buddies eat, where they eat, where they get their food etc.
We have been posting and commenting regularly and there have been many rich discussions about similarities and difference of the two classes.
This project is proving to be fantastic in so many ways! The students are…
- opening their eyes to a world outside of their own neighbourhoods,
- learning terms such as hemispheres, time zones, continents etc in a very authentic way,
- developing a tolerance of others through understanding how different people live,
- learning about our Term One “Food” theme in such a rich and genuine way,
- improving their writing skills every day with so much authentic practice,
- using technology in a purposeful way,
- so excited to make new friends!